|Healthy Grill Tips|
|Now that the weather is warming up and the Summer Holidays are here, it’s a great time to use your grill. Often ignored over the winter months, summer is the perfect time to move the cooking outdoors, fire up the grill and enjoy those sizzling steaks. Grilling is easy, everyone loves it and if done the right way it can be healthy and low in fat.
Here are some tips:
1. First, buy good quality meat as it has less fat. Cut off all the white stuff (fat) on the side of the meat.
2. Remove any skin from chicken. Forget cooking drumsticks as it takes way too long on the grill and you can end up with it being burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Chicken breasts are better; they are lower in fat and cook quicker.
3. Using a Kettle Grill or open grill is a healthy way to cook as it allows the fats to escape.
4. Throw some seafood on the grill as it cooks up beautifully, but be careful as seafood cooks very quickly and when overcooked will be dry. Fish only needs a few minutes on each side.
5. Add some variety to your grill by throwing on some sliced banana or pineapple. Whole mushrooms and tomatoes cut in half taste great, I also like fresh asparagus, grilled bell peppers, zucchini and slices of sweet potato or whole corn cobs as well.
6. Make up some of my fabulous Dianne or Pepper Sauce to pour over your steak, your guests will be very impressed.
7. When making salads to go with your grill use the 97% fat free mayonnaises and no oil dressings.
8. Sausages are very high in fat so make my Rippa Rissoles with lean mince. Lean skewered meats and vegetables taste great and are good for you.
9. Remember not to overcook your meat as it continues to cook during the resting time. Always allow steaks to rest a few minutes prior to serving.
10. And finally never turn a steak more than once. Continually turning the meat will make it dry and hard, so step away from the grill and don’t keep turning the meat as you chat to your guests.